This is the first time I have made buckeye balls and, even though they might not have turned out exactly how I had wished, the taste is amazing and they are very addicting. Definitely a repeat recipe in this household! I researched several recipes on healthy buckeye balls and found lots, but nothing that really suit me. The recipe I have below is a bit of an experiment derived from another recipe for peanut butter fudge. Lets just say, it was a GOOD experiment (a little sticky) and delicious! 🙂
2 cups of peanut butter (equivalent to one 16oz. jar)
1/2 cup browned butter
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1/4 of tapioca flour (cassava works too)
1/4 cup of raw honey
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 bag of Simple Truth chocolate chips
- Brown the butter by placing it in a shallow sauce pan and melting it until it turns a dark golden brown.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the peanut butter, flour, browned butter and honey, mix well. Add the sea salt and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the freezer for 20-25 min, depending on how sticky it is. I put mine in for a good 25 min. (I’m not a big fan of working with sticky batter).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and melt the chocolate chips.
- Now your ready for the fun part, using a teaspoon (or tablespoon depending on how big you like your buckeyes) scoop and roll the batter into a ball. Place on the parchment paper and scoop chocolate over it until it’s well covered. Originally I was supposed to take a tooth pick and stick each ball into the melted chocolate, but as my batter was a bit sticky and not cooperative I resorted to just pouring some chocolate over the ball.
- Cover baking sheets and place in the freezer until hardened. Enjoy!
Have a good Friday and enjoy your weekend!!